Actually, I encountered some unexpected problems while building this model. Firstly, I had to learn how to create a low-poly model using the Retopology feature of ZBrush. Rather than explain the workflow here, I’d like to direct curious readers to the following links, which have helped me immensely:
|Something wicked this way comes|
My second unexpected problem was with UV mapping. My only other experience with this task was with the monster head that I featured in my tutorial. This time, I had to map an entire creature, not just its head. Trying to figure out what seams to cut and where to place them is a challenge in itself. I found that fingers and toes were especially vexing to map. I eventually created more seams than I had intended, but since the additional seams were mostly in the creature’s digits, it is unlikely that players will notice them.
To make matters worse, once I had completed my UV mapping, I found that it would not be stored in the model when I exported it as an MDB file. I could not figure out why that happened. After experimenting with the problem for a few days, I eventually found that if I exported the model as an OBJ file then imported it anew, the UV map would be stored properly. To this day, I do not know why I had this problem in the first place, but at least I have a workaround to fall back on if need be.
|Too much butt-scooting||Man's best fiend|