Apologies

It has been some time since I last posted anything here, and I feel that an explanation is in order. Shortly after blogging about the Temple of Kelemvor, I started work on another outdoor area, Bloodstone Village in Damara. Unfortunately, I made a stupid mistake that caused irrecoverable file corruption. Because I create a separate module for each area that I work on, the damage was limited to Bloodstone Village alone. None of my previous work was affected in any way. Nevertheless, I was so disheartened that I haven't worked on Faithless since then.

About a week before this incident, I had been approached by a talented group of NWN2 modders who invited me to work on their project. The strong track record of these guys was reason enough for me to accept their offer. I haven't been given the go signal to provide details on this project, although I expect that we'll all be promoting it by January or February of next year.

This is my first time to work with a team on a module, and I must say that my past experience in software development had not prepared me for the travails to come. The fact that the team is bristling with talent is both a blessing and a curse. During the initial phase of developing the story, everyone had their own ideas that did not necessarily sit well with everybody else. The creative process is generally painful and is sometimes likened to giving birth, but it becomes especially difficult with so many people claiming paternity.

Nevertheless, out of this orgiastic free-for-all arose a plot that is refreshingly different from the modules that are currently at the Vault. There is much potential for greatness in the plot, but whether that potential gets realized depends on our execution. This is where our ability to work together will be tested. We'll probably have a good sense of whether the story is developed well during the testing phase.

In the meantime, I have not abandoned Faithless. I'm still working on it, although my module is currently taking a backseat to this new project. My blog is mostly about my effort to create Faithless, but other NWN2 projects sometimes grab my attention along the way, and these deserve to be written about as well. I'll continue to update my blog, although my posts will mostly be about the new project that I'm currently involved with. I'll try to find time to post the occasional writeup on Faithless.

Comments

Sorry to hear about your data corruption. It must be something in the name, as I had a module called "Bloodstone College",and is the first data I ever lost regarding a module. And that too really disheartened me to continue for a while.

It's a shame to hear that Faithless is having to take a back seat, but I can understand. Having to prioritze projects is a hard task, but one that has to be done.

I look forward to hearing about your progress all the same. :)

Lance.
Anonymous said…
Sounds interesting Frank. I am very much looking forward to Faithless, but just as excited about the new project! Can't wait to hear more :)


Liso
Unknown said…
Heh, another talented modder plucked from the garden and putting his own work on the back shelf. I think the team efforts are best for the community in the long run though, and it's clear you've got the talent to be a fine contributor to a team. Best wishes with your new efforts and look forward to hearing more.

JasonNH
EC said…
Congratulations on this new, exciting project! Putting pieces together gleaned from here and there, I'm forming in my mind an idea of what this could be all about... But I'll keep those impressions to myself until the real thing is revealed: don't want to start unwelcome and needless rumors afterall... ;) I'm really looking forward to next year to hear more about this! Good luck!
Josh said…
Nice man!

Whatever team recruited you sure has a very talented member amidst their ranks now. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Frank Perez said…
Thanks for the interest in the new module, everyone. With so many fine modders contributing top-notch work on this project, we'll probably have it out on the Vault pretty fast. Faithless won't be in hibernation too long, I hope.
Lariam said…
Looking forward to hearing both about the new project as well as about the progress of Faithless (at some point in the future)!

Popular posts from this blog

Converting Skyrim Armor to NWN2, Part 1

A New Home for BoB

Killing Your Boss Requires Careful Thought