I took a virtual stroll through this forest a week ago, and I was immediately taken by its charms -- the leaf-strewn ground, the verdant foliage, the laughing brook with its pretty waterfall... "I must have this lovely forest in my module," I thought to myself as I blinked back tears of joy. I then opened the prefab in the toolset and proceeded to uproot most of the trees to make way for a military camp that I was designing. Oh, what fun!
Much of the action in Faithless revolves around battles between entire armies, for which I need to create military camps. The camp that I made is patterned after those of the Roman army. This area is large enough to house two centuries. (A century is a Roman military unit comprised of 60 to 100 soldiers led by a centurion.) The organized way that the camp is structured indicates that this particular army is highly disciplined.
I kept the contours of Registerdebakel's prefab mostly intact, although I did modify the terrain elevation to allow tents to be put up. The camp is surrounded by a palisade, which I imagine was made from the trees that were uprooted. By modeling the camp around the contours of the prefab, I managed to create a fairly realistic area. It certainly looks more convincing than the mining camp I made four months ago.
No military camp is complete without watchtowers. Although there are watchtower placeables available in the toolset, I prefer to use the ones that come with Barry the Hatchet's BTH Rural Defence Pack. Unlike those of the toolset, Barry the Hatchet's watchtowers may be climbed.
In case anybody is wondering why all my screenshots of this area are set at night, let's just say that players probably wouldn't want to infiltrate an enemy camp in the daytime. On the other hand, astute readers may wonder why there are no torches anywhere near the campsite. Let's just say that the soldiers housed in this camp can see quite well in the dark. Heh-heh.
Update, 12 August 2008
When first I put up the screenshots of the military camp here in my blog, I had the nagging feeling that I overdid the bloom settings. If the player characters were supposed to be nearsighted, I guess the bloom settings would have been okay, but since that is not the case, I had to change the settings. Since the brightness of the area was affected when I adjusted the bloom, I had to change the light settings as well.
For those who may be interested, the following are the new nighttime settings that I used in this area. Properties from the Day/Night Cycle Stages not listed here are the same as the original values that Registerdebakel had set.
- BloomBlurRadius = 7
- BloomHighlightIntensity = 0.7
- BloomHighlightThreshold = 5
- BloomSceneIntensity = 0.7
- Fog: FogColor = 21, 21, 31
- ShadowIntensity = 0.5
- SkyLight: DiffuseColor = 19, 19, 51
- SkyLight: Intensity = 0.15
- SkyLight: SpecularColor = 48, 75, 139
- SkyZenith = 20, 13, 23
- SunMoon: DiffuseColor = 55, 61, 76
- SunMoon: Intensity = 2.5
SunMoon: SpecularColor = 90, 139, 163
The images shown above were taken with the new settings in place. Below are the images as they originally appeared in this blog.