Below are a couple more concept sketches for "Shattered Dreams," an upcoming module from bouncyRock Entertainment. In a couple of days, I'll start making 3D art based on my drawings. I hope I'm up to the task.
Actually, the story isn't exactly horror. The module seems to cross several genres, probably because it is the work of many people. With me, everything I touch seems to turn to gothic horror, so there are bound to be a few horrific elements in "Shattered Dreams."
Over the past several days, I took a break from area design to try my hand at 3D modeling, something that I've never done before. The closest that I have come to creating 3D models was to retexture several NWN2 placeables. Emboldened with my success in this endeavor, I figured that the logical next step is to try to create a new character head. Stands to reason, right? Right. My objective was to create a pretty half-elven head for one of my NPCs. Anyone who has tried making a female half elf character in NWN2 will understand why I need a new head model. The ones that come with the game are all pretty... pretty ugly. There are a number of heads that are available at the Vault, but none of them are appropriate for my NPC. With no prior experience and no patience to read tutorials, I jumped right in and fiddled with my 3D software. I decided that the best way for me to learn how to create character heads is to examine and tweak the ones that come with the game. This strategy opened up...
In computer games, nothing gets a player’s adrenalin pumping more than a great boss fight. If a battle can be likened to a multi-course meal, the boss is the pièce de résistance , the culminating moment to which all other minor encounters lead. There is more to designing a memorable boss encounter than giving the boss far more hit points and damage than most other enemies. The encounter should be difficult enough to force players to re-evaluate their strategy and think on what course of action to employ. Below is a list of ways to add spice to your boss fights. Many of the suggestions listed below can be combined with others to create challenging battles. Resistance to Damage Type . The boss may be resistant or invulnerable to specific types of damage. The challenge for the player is to discover what damage type hurts the boss the most and to apply it to the boss without getting killed first. For example, as anybody who has seen The Wolfman movie knows, werewolves can shrug off d...
Four months ago, I offered to write a tutorial for Casadechrisso on how to convert armor made by Skyrim custom content makers into NWN2 armor. I didn’t actually know how to go about it, but I assumed that it wouldn’t be too difficult for me to figure out. Well, Casadechrisso accepted my offer about two months ago, which is why I’m posting yet another tutorial series on game modding. I haven’t actually completed the conversion as of this time, so this blog post is as much a tutorial as it is a journal of my progress. Conversion Problems Converting model files between video games is not without its problems, especially if the games are very different from each other. For example, it is possible to convert NWN models to NWN2 models, but the results often look crude and blocky. Likewise, converting Skyrim models to NWN2 models may be problematic for two reasons. Firstly, Skyrim armor has way more polygons than are recommended for NWN2, which is still slow compared ...
Comments